|Samuel J. May|
|Written by Roger Hiemstra|
Samuel Joseph May was our second minister. He was a well-known abolitionist and reformer on the national scene, and a well-loved parish minister at the Church of the Messiah, as we were then known, from 1845 to 1868.
When the congregation built a large stone church in 1885, they named it the May Memorial Church in honor of Sam May. Eighty years later the congregation moved into the present building during the civil rights struggles of the 1960s. Sam May’s work for racial equality was still relevant to our members; thus, we retained his name for the new building by using the May Memorial Unitarian Society. Still later we voted to change its corporate name to May Memorial Unitarian Universalist Society to keep the inspiration of Sam May’s social activism always with us and to reflect the merging of Unitarians and Universalists into one denomination.
We continue today to live out the spirit of Sam May through activities such as the following: Participation in the Sanctuary movement; church members being jailed for their efforts to close the School of the Americas, acceptance of gay and lesbian members, participation in a Syracuse housing rehabilitation project, work with the homeless and hungry, and support of a living wage for all working people.
We are very proud of our long connection to Sam May and dedicate this site to providing information about him so that others may understand the reasons for our pride. We hope you enjoy the various links shown below.
More on Rev. May:
External Links (will open in new window)